[GE users] How important is checkpointing support?

agay agay at cc.huji.ac.il
Thu May 14 15:54:27 BST 2009

Chris, thanks!

Is there any reason your friends don't use BLCR:

https://ftg.lbl.gov/CheckpointRestart/CheckpointRestart.shtml

there is even a SGE howto for it:

http://gridengine.sunsource.net/howto/APSTC-TB-2004-005.pdf

The "hidden agenda" behind my post is to check an impression that checkpointing is rarely used and usually supports only a limited class of programs.

I would like to hear community experience on turning interactive Windows farms into night time compute clusters. Did anyone try running SGE on UNIX while Windows runs in an emulator/VM/terminal server? Do you switch the operating system twice daily? Do you work only in Windows?