[GE users] Determining last input time on recent Fedora (and other?) linux version

opoplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Thu May 14 21:17:06 BST 2009

I had been running load monitor on our Fedora systems that checked the
access time of /dev/tty7 and /dev/input/mice to try to determine the
idle time.  This broke with the move to Fedora 10 (and perhaps earlier).
  The approach I've come with at the moment is to use a system daemon
(attached here) to monitor the /dev/input/event* files for input and
update the timestamp of /var/spool/input when input arrives.  Then the
load monitor script can stat this file like before.

Comments/suggestions/other workarounds welcome.

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                  orion at cora.nwra.com