[GE users] Overallocated cluster

dangruhn Dan.Gruhn at groupw.com
Fri May 15 13:54:41 BST 2009

Richard,

Changing job slots available for a host will cause the change to happen automatically:

qconf -mattr exechost complex_values slots=<#> <hostname>

The effect will be that the host with now have more or less slots available.  If more slots, the scheduler will attempt to fill the new slots.  If less slots, any running jobs will continue and the scheduler will not assign any new jobs until enough jobs end to make a slot available with the new, lower value.

Dan

rmc7777 wrote:
> Thanks chris.  I'm going to reduce the number of slots to see if this helps.
>
> Do you know (or does anyone else in this forum know) the answer to this question?  We have a large number of long-running jobs in our batch queues and I don't want to interrupt them.  I use qmon or command line to change sge options such as number of slots.  If I modify the number of slots will the change take effect automatically, or do I have to stop and restart the queues?

Dan Gruhn
Group W Inc.
8315 Lee Hwy, Suite 303
Fairfax, VA, 22031