[GE users] How important is checkpointing support?

agay agay at cc.huji.ac.il
Fri May 15 21:34:09 BST 2009

Dan, thanks a lot! It sounds like an elegant solution!

> So far so good,

I have very little experience with virtual machines so I'm asking dumb questions. Are your Windows users satisfied with the VM? Do you authenticate them in Linux before starting the VM? Do each user gets a "fresh" VM so viruses can't pass between consecutive user logins?

Our situation is probably shared by other educational institutions. There are several large Windows farms serving as student labs that we wish to use as night time compute clusters. We must provide the Windows environment during the day with a lot of applications and make sure each user gets it clean.

The SGE docs may give an impression that checkpointing is an easy to use panacea for load balancing but this seems inaccurate. With the Windows running in a VM you can keep crunching numbers and needs checkpointing only if there are really long jobs.