[GE users] Scheduling issue

rscoelho rafaelsantoscoelho at gmail.com
Tue May 19 02:02:47 BST 2009

Hello everyone,

I'm kind of new to SGE and lately I've been experiencing some problems with the scheduler (SGE version 6.1u5). To give you some sense of what's going on, here's an example. Let's say I have to submit two MPI parallel jobs, each one requires 32 slots to run. Suppose that there are 50 queues available, each queue resides on a single dual core execution host, and also that, besides me, there is no other user logged on to the system.

When I submit both jobs, one after another, I notice that instead of using 16 queues to run the first job and 16 more queues to run the second job (so this way, it would be 2 slots per queue), the scheduler "randomly" assign the total 64 slots across the available queues. To put it differently, it seems that the scheduler not always tries to fit the pending jobs in the fewest available queues.

Why is that? And how can I change that? In addition, given that all queues are comprised of dual core execution hosts, how can I assure that the scheduler will not dispatch slots from different jobs to the same execution host?

Thanks in advance,

Rafael