[GE users] Fair-Share Policy with two projects

madpower prandtstetter at ads.tuwien.ac.at
Tue May 19 07:21:16 BST 2009

Hello everybody,

I have the following problem: I want to realize a fair-share policy with two projects. In fact, everything is easy, but there is one problem:

I have two projects, let's call them projA and projB. In general, the distribution of CPU time should be such that projA gets 70% and projB gets 30%.
However, I have 8 fix users (all member of projA) and an undefined number of unknown users for projB. In general, it will be the case that projA-members request more CPU time than users of projB. Therefore it can occur that for example all projA users (i.e., 8) request CPU and only one projB user. As far as I understood share-tree policy the projB user gets 30% of CPU assigned whereas all other users get only about 9% (70% of the total CPU will be shared among 8 users), which results in the unfair situation that the projB user gets three times so much CPU time.

What we would like to achieve is that a user of projB cannot acquire more CPU time than any user of projA. Does anybody have any idea, how this can be done using a share-tree? I already used Google, but I did not find any meaningful information.

Best regards,
Matthias

Anyhow