[GE users] Fair-Share Policy with two projects

mlelstv mlelstv at serpens.de
Tue May 19 08:05:18 BST 2009

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 11:21:16PM -0700, madpower wrote:

> What we would like to achieve is that a user of projB cannot acquire more CPU time than any user of projA. Does anybody have any idea, how this can be done using a share-tree? I already used Google, but I did not find any meaningful information.

First let me say that fair share never limits resource usage. It only
tries to balance out usage by sorting the pending queue.

With the assumption that you don't want the cluster to be partially
unused, you also have contradicting goals by asking for different
allocations regarding projects (70:30) and users (8:1).

You can probably define such hard constraints using resource quotas.
But again, this will leave part of the cluster unused.

Greetings,
--
                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv at serpens.de