[GE users] No all.q queue

Tue May 19 08:59:59 BST 2009

> Just to clear a possible confusion: I have other queues configured
> that work well but assumed that there should also be a 'special'
> all.q.

There are no special queue names in GridEngine. You can choose names and
configure then as your heart desires. The convention of appending '.q'
seems to be a holdover from 5.3, where a separate queue was needed for
each host and there would be things like host1.q, host2.q to indicate
what are now termed "queue instances".  With version 6, none of this is
need any more, nor is there any need to have a special 'all.q'. If you
don't specify any queue restrictions (ie, qsub without -q), all
potential queues will be considered anyhow.

IMO the appended '.q' not only looks fairly ugly, but doesn't convey any
extra information whatsoever. That is to say, from the context it is
fairly obvious that a queue is meant when something like "-q cfd" is
specified.

/mark
message from your computer.