[GE users] GE 6.2 and nfsv4 spool directories

enri enrico.sirola at gmail.com
Wed May 20 09:19:52 BST 2009

Hello,
I'm going to install a new cluster with GE6.2u2_1. It's a small
cluster of workstations for development/testing purposes, the idea is
that every developer's workstation export the developer's home via
nfsv4 and all the workstations mount the homes via autofs (using a
bind mount if th home is local). Everything is kerberized. This basic
setup works, however we are having some issues GE-specific: the GE is
configured as follows:

  * the GE spool directories are on a shared nfsv4 disk
  * the GE cell directory is owned by "sgeadmin" which is a user of
the kerberos realm

however, the GE daemons run as local root and this is apparently
creating problems because locat roots can't access nfs4 shared volumes
(local root has no krb5 ticket). I guess this is a common with a clear
solution, but I'm a nfs4/kerberos newbie so I con't see it.

How is this problem usually solved? Local spools?
Thanks for you help,

Enrico Sirola