[GE users] Fair-Share Policy with two projects

madpower prandtstetter at ads.tuwien.ac.at
Wed May 20 09:31:59 BST 2009

>> What we would like to achieve is that a fair share among all users is
>> achieved, i.e., all users have the same CPU time, but at the same time
>> it should be ensured that jobs of projB never use more than 30% of CPU.
>
> This is a contradiction. If all users get the same CPU time then
> the projects will get something proportional to the number of users
> in each project.
Well, your are partly right. But I would rather say it is a multi
objective problem which has to be optimized. In fact, in many
multi-objective optimization problems (the) parts of the objective
function are contradicting each other. The user then has to weight the
different contraticting parts of the objective such that a meaningful
result can be achieved.
In our case the two parts are "every user has the same share" and "projB
has not more than 30%".
Regardless of that, the question is: "Can this be implemented the
currently available policy mechanism implemented in SGE 6.2? If yes, I
would be very thankful if someone could lead me into the right
direction. If not, where can I submit a feature request?, because in my
opinion this option is *very* important. Otherwise, the system is not
useable for our needs and this would be a pity, since the rest is
working really fine (and almost without problems).

Best regards,
Matthias

PS: With respect to "This is a contradiction." The complete scheduling
mechanism (on any system) is a contradiction to itself - otherwise it
would not be such a hard problem ;-)