[GE users] Overriding a default value with no value?

futurity neil at futurity.co.uk
Thu May 21 12:09:16 BST 2009

Hi Fellow Grid Users,

We have a grid with one queue that contains both 32bit and 64bit execution
hosts.

By default when users use qsub it defaults to "arch=lx24-x86" as defined in
the file:

$SGE_ROOT/default/common/sge_request

When users want to use 64bit machines they use "arch=lx24-amd64".

However what do I need to use to allow my jobs to run on any machine (i.e. I
on 32bit and 64bit machines)?

If I submit jobs with "arch="  as in setting it to no value I receive the
following message:

Submitting Job Number 1...
Unable to run job: denied: missing value for request "arch".
Exiting.

We don't want 95% our users to have to specify 32bit machines in their
scripts because it would be a lot of work for them to do so.

Any ideas how I solve this problem?

Neil