[GE users] Overriding a default value with no value?

futuritymmx neil.baker at crl.toshiba.co.uk
Thu May 21 13:15:58 BST 2009

Hmmm I'm getting very strange behaviour using "-soft".

Using "qsub -l arch=lx24-x86", jobs only run on 64 bit machines.

Using "qsub -soft -l arch=lx24-x86", jobs only run on 32bit machines, but no
64bit machines.  I'd expect then to run on both architectures.  The queue
was flooded in both tests with over 100 jobs still waiting to be queued.

Current default values in sge_request are:

-p -100 -S /bin/bash -cwd -l qp=low,vf=256M,arch=lx24-x86

"qp" is our "qname" which is a requestable value used for selecting one of
our virtual queues (made up on many queues).

"vf" is used to specify how much virtual memory each job will require.

"arch" is the architecture.

So by using "-soft" in the above qsub command, why does is switch to only
using 32bit machines when in theory it should not care and allow jobs to run
them on any architecture / machine?

Neil