[GE users] Overriding a default value with no value?

futuritymmx neil.baker at crl.toshiba.co.uk
Thu May 21 13:54:40 BST 2009

Although my problem is described correctly, I've accidentally pasted the
wrong architecture into my previous email.  To clarify my problem:

When I submit jobs specifying the 64bit architecture, they run on only the
64bit architecture machines:

qsub -l arch=lx24-amd64 /rmt/home/nbaker/gridenginetests/a60.sh

However, when I add "-soft" my jobs only run on 32bit machines, even though
I have more jobs submitted than 32bit machines to run them on.

qsub -soft -l arch=lx24-amd64 /rmt/home/nbaker/gridenginetests/a60.sh

They are queued rather than run on the 64bit machines.  Surely there should
be a preference for 64bit machines.  Jobs should try to run there first,
then only run on 32bit machines when all the 64bit slots have been filled?

Please note that in sge_request the default arch request is for 32bit
machines i.e. arch=lx24-x86 (see previous email below but one).

Neil