[GE users] berkeley_db_svc hangs RedHat 4.7

emjga matthew.garrett at external.total.com
Fri May 22 14:29:10 BST 2009


    [ The following text is in the "utf-8" character set. ]
    [ Your display is set for the "ISO-8859-10" character set.  ]
    [ Some characters may be displayed incorrectly. ]




Marco

Running from the command line , all so hangs.

However the old setup was on a RedHat 4.2 system that did not hang , it is just as we have gone to RedHat 4.7
Interesting that I have tried the same thing on a RedHat 4.6 which all so hangs.

So looks like it could be a RedHat sort of problem.

Note sure how to really go about trying to debug this

Matthew

Marco.Donauer at Sun.COM wrote on 22/05/2009 14:08:51:

> Matthew,
>
> it seems that the berkeley_db_svc does not return, the returns, after
> adding the "&" ?
> Could you please try to start the service maually, taking the
> complete commandline?
> If the server is running on other RH version without problems, I would
> assume that could be also a RH problem.
>
> Marco
>
> emjga wrote:
> >
> > Folks
> >
> > I am trying to install the Berkeley db driver on to a RedHat 4.7 system
> >
> > Running inst_sge -db
> >
> > All looks fine but at the end the following process never seems to
> > finish.
> >
> > /grc/apps/SGE/utilbin/lx24-amd64/berkeley_db_svc -L
> > /var/spool/SGE_bdb/bdb_messages -h /var/spool SGE_bdb
> >
> > The problem comes when the system does a reboot and tries to run
> > /etc/init.d/sgebdb
> >
> > Which never returns and the machine just hangs.
> > The only way is to reboot the system to single user mode and disable
> > the sgedb (and the rest of SGE)
> >
> > The messages file has this
> > /var/spool/SGE_bdb/bdb_messages
> > berkeley_db_svc: 32031 Wed May 20 16:10:14 2009
> >
> > This is a 64Bit machine x86_64 AMD64 machine.
> >
> > Can any body suggest what the fix might be.
> >
> > The simple fix I have done is to modify the file /etc/init.d/sgebdb
> > I have added & on to the end of the command line
> >
> > ExecuteAsAdmin $utilbin_dir/berkeley_db_svc -L
> > /var/spool/SGE_bdb/bdb_messages $BDBHOMES &
> >
> > But I am sure that is not the real way to fix the problem.
> >
> > Note the Machine has been re-kickstarted from RedHat 4.2 and the above
> > seemed to work fine with out any changes.

Registered in England and Wales No.811900
Registered Office 33 Cavendish Square, London W1G 0PW
This e-mail and any attachments are intended only for the person or entity
to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential or privileged
information.  If you are not the addressee, any disclosure, reproduction,
copying, distribution, or use of this communication is strictly prohibited.
If you are not the intended recipient or person responsible for delivering
this message to the named addressee, please notify us immediately and delete
this e-mail.
It is the responsibility of the addressee to scan this email and any
attachments for computer viruses or other defects.  The sender does not
accept liability for any loss or damage of any nature, however caused,
which may result directly or indirectly from this email or any file attached.





More information about the gridengine-users mailing list