[GE users] How important is checkpointing support?

agay agay at cc.huji.ac.il
Fri May 22 15:05:39 BST 2009

/Dev thanks!

I apologize for the late reply but I was thinking hard on what you said.

Checkpointing (CP) at the application level is probably more efficient and portable than other methods. As far as I understand f95/C and their compilers don't provide much help writing a self-CP'd program.

If there were good examples of CP'd programs it could help programmers, especially new sciences students, to get into practice. C is of course much better at doing system programming but I guess this is not the main problem here. Fortran 95 data modules may be a natural arena for CP and I'm trying it.

Without compiler support maybe a suitable pre-processor could be written, e.g. in Perl, to help CP code?