[GE users] Mapping of usernames that differ between submit and exec hosts?

benmwebb ben at salilab.org
Fri May 22 18:40:32 BST 2009

I want to set up a submit host for an SGE (6.1) cluster, but have run
into a problem: although each user has the same UID on the cluster and
on our submit host, some users have different names on the two systems
(e.g. user foo with uid 11000 on the submit host corresponds to user bar
on the cluster with uid 11000). Is there any way in SGE to alias or map
usernames? (A default setup does not work - while I can submit a job and
it is queued, and 'qstat -j' reports it is owned by foo:11000, it won't
run, because the execd tries to look up 'foo' in the password file
rather than just running the job as UID 11000.)

We cannot simply rename accounts on our submit host, since a) there is
already a 'foo' account with different uid on the cluster and b) this
would of course break non-SGE ACLs, email, etc.

	Ben
--
ben at salilab.org                      http://salilab.org/~ben/
	- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle