[GE users] SGE noobie

craffi dag at sonsorol.org
Tue May 26 16:33:12 BST 2009

It sounds like you are not sharing a filesystem between your 2 hosts

When you install sge_execd on the remote node and have a shared
filesystem between the two, the installer will recognize the presence
of the $SGE_ROOT/$SGE_CELL/common/act_qmaster file and will contact it
automatically. You either don't have this share or your network/
firewall/DNS is getting in the way of communication between the two
hosts.

If you can't share the filesystem between the two hosts, try making a
rsync copy of $SGE_ROOT when the qmaster is running and move that over
to the 2nd host. Then try the ./install_execd script and see if it
picks up on the presence of the qmaster system

-Chris