[GE users] SGE noobie

biostat adam at greenhodge.net
Tue May 26 20:11:09 BST 2009

Thanks alot for your help so far. I feel like I am making headway (albeit slow).

Here is, I think, where I start to get tripped up:
1.Install qmaster (using ./install_qmaster) on machine1:/SGE6.
2. NFS machine1:/SGE6 so that it is visible by machine2.
3. Install execd (using ./install_execd) on machine2. When I install execd here, should I be running the install_execd script that is locally on machine2 (lets say under the directory machine2:/SGE6b  ), or should I be running the install_execd script that is on machine1:/SGE6?
3. When the execd install asks for my SGE_ROOT var, should I give it machine1:/SGE6 or machine2:/SGE6b?

I guess the essence of my question is: at what points should in the install should I be working with the remote directory, and at what points should I be working with the local directory?

Also, as a possibly related question, when the qmaster install asks for a list of admin and submit hosts, should I give it all the hosts in my cluster, including itself (assuming it is the only qmaster, and there are 1 or more other machines that are all execution hosts)?

Thanks again, your help is really appreciated.