[GE users] Resource reservation and parallel jobs

dougalb dougal.lists at gmail.com
Tue May 26 21:13:00 BST 2009

Hi all,

I have a question about "resource reservation" in SGE. We are using 6.2u2_1 with a single queue.

I am currently setting up a new 128 node(1024 core) cluster for an R&D environment. There is a large mix on jobs between batch and parallel. One of the users submits large amounts ~20,000 30 min batch jobs which fills the cluster. This is obviously causing parallel job starvation.

To try and resolve this I have enabled resource reservations with a setting of 20. This does not appear to be helping with the parallel jobs. First thing I have noticed is that not enough slots where becoming free per schedule interval, so I have changed this from 15 seconds to 45 seconds. This does seem to help but does not really solve the issue and has added more latency to the scheduling.

Is there a better approach to this problem?

Kind regards,

Dougal