[GE users] shadow master shadowd questions

gersius Sergio.Ciria.Marin at Sun.COM
Wed May 27 11:28:48 BST 2009

Hi,

I'm having some problems testing the shadow master feature. I'm currently using NFS for absolutely everything (execd and qmaster spooling and configuration). The NFS is external to the Grid nodes (i.e. no grid node is exporting a local directory to others).

When I try to manually migrate the qmaster using the -migrate option in a shadow master, I get an error message about the "qmaster daemon did not create a lock file".

Also I see stupid behaviour like for example, when trying to migrate, the shadow master shuts down the qmaster in the original node, then it tries to contact the qmaster without checking first if it started or not... and it fails, of course.

My question is, what is exactly the function of the lock file, and under which circumstances is created, checked and deleted? Could these problems be related to NFS? If so, what export / mount options should be used/avoided?

Thanks,
Sergio