[GE users] Run qlicserver As A True Daemon

gmareels guy.mareels at gmail.com
Thu May 28 15:07:46 BST 2009

Hello Chris,

we run the qlicserver not as a daemon (not reliable) but as a cron-job each minute or so. Easy and effective!

Best regards,
Guy

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 3:49 PM, butters <chris at pearit.co.uk<mailto:chris at pearit.co.uk>> wrote:
Hi,

Has anyone got the excellent qlicserver tool running as a true daemon please?
I've been trying to ste this up, without success. Here's where I'm up to so far...

I've altered qlicserver so the line;

 my $ppid = getppid();

Now reads

 my $ppid = 1;

And this prevents it dieing when it's parent process ends.
I then wrote a script that starts qlicserver with the -d option. Running this script manually (as root) works exactly as I want it to - qlicserver runs in the background, remains intact when the root user logs off and continues to update license stats in SGE.

However, if I run this at boot (vi a copy of the script in /etc/rc.d/init.d, linked to /etc/rc.d/rc3.d) it runs, stays in the background, but fails to update SGE or write to the output file I'm specifying.

Does anyone know how I can get this working please?

Thanks for any help anyone can give,
Chris