[GE users] Script to show pending reasons in SGE

fx d.love at liverpool.ac.uk
Thu May 28 16:23:56 BST 2009

craffi <dag at sonsorol.org> writes:

> I've done both (parsing qstat output with perl and using XSLT to get
> at SGE's output) and find that overall dealing with the XML output is
> cleaner and easier plus you get access to more details than qstat.

As far as I could tell, fairly recently, you hadn't figured it out for
6.2.  I went looking for information, and couldn't find any definition
of the output.

> Just my $.02 of course but except for very simple cases I think
> dealing with the XML is a cleaner path with a longer shelf life.

That depends on how well-defined and stable it is, apart from the
transport/parsing overhead.  Even on our relatively small systems (~2k
jobs on 100 nodes in one), it doesn't look very scalable to extract the
information jobmonarch needs, partly because you can't specify what you
want.  I'm afraid I'm not a fan of XML everywhere...

--
XML is Lisp's bastard nephew, with uglier syntax and no semantics.
  -- Phil Wadler <URL:http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/wadler/topics/xml.html>