[GE users] Run qlicserver As A True Daemon

Fri May 29 11:48:26 BST 2009

> What sort of time-out does your daemon use typically to check the
> FlexLM/NET server?

You'll probably still need to play around a bit with timeouts if you have unstable servers and/or license daemons. I've never been 100% satisfied that it is all working as well as it should.

At some point in the past we had issues when the lmstat query timeout was set shorter than the qlicserver timeout. The query would timeout and return horrible junk. It seemed to work better to set the qlicserver timeout to be a bit shorter and have it "pull the plug" before lmstat does.
On some older Perl versions, however, the timeout seemed to leak across threads and ruin the entire query. I'm still not entirely certain if there aren't issues with using the Perl timeout and the read pipe is in blocking mode.

IMO it is all a bit dodgy. If someone can figure out some good tests/improvements there, please let me know.

/mark
message from your computer.