[GE users] qlicserver seems to double subtract

Mon Nov 2 10:36:03 GMT 2009

On Fri, 2009-10-30 at 14:00 -0700, biscisking wrote:
> I believe I've achieved the desired behavior by setting Consumable=NO.
> In summary, mine should be about the simplest scenario for which you conceived flex-grid.

Actually, your settings correspond to a usage that likely circumvents
everything that qlicserver tries to do. I have no idea what its
behaviour should be in the case, but I would not attempt it.

We too have abaqus, GridEngine 6.2u3 but we are using qlicserver Release
2009-10-12 (changes are listing on the changes page for the project).

For the 'abaqus' complex we have this:

#name  shortcut type  relop requestable consumable default  urgency
#----------------------------------------------------------------
abaqus  abaqus  INT  <=    YES         JOB        0        0

> I've got qlicserver acquiring the number of free licenses every 20sec in daemon mode and reporting to SGE.
>   The complex was originally created with the command:
>
> qconf -mattr exechost complex_values abaqus=0 global

Good. The initial value should be immaterial.

> Any time I do 'qstat -F abaqus', I see that for each node, gf:abaqus= is always correct.

Hmm. Why do you have 'gf:abaqus='? You should normally see 'gc:abaqus='

> I'm not 100% comfortable, because I was expecting to have to set Consumable=JOB.
> When I did this, however, 'qstat -F abaqus' would report a number that was always low
> by the exact number of licenses collectively requested by the jobs in the queue,

But this is correct. If you had 14 tokens and used 6 of them for your
job, you only have 8 free for subsequent scheduling runs. This is
exactly why you need them to be consumable.

> I'd like to know that my configuration is not kluge of your design intent,
> but as I seem to have achieved the desired behavior, I will certainly understand
> if you don't have time to reply

Please switch back to using consumable, but perhaps you forgot to tell
qlicserver that they are JOB consumables and that is causing the
problem?

eg,
  <!-- fea applications -->
   <resource name="abaqus" served="abaqus" type="job"/>

/mark

This e-mail message and any attachments may contain legally privileged, confidential or proprietary Information, or information otherwise protected by law of EMCON Technologies, its affiliates, or third parties. This notice serves as marking of its "Confidential" status as defined in any confidentiality agreements concerning the sender and recipient. If you are not the intended recipient(s), or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of this message to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail message is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this e-mail message from your computer.