[GE users] submitting parallel jobs

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Mon Nov 2 12:18:38 GMT 2009

Hi,

Am 30.10.2009 um 17:09 schrieb cgull:

> Hi
> I am new to SGE and am slightly struggling with how queues should
> be working.
> I have installed 6.2u3 and started configuring this.
>
> I have been able to setup SGE so that I have a master which has 3
> queues setup : bira cevert hill
>
> These three queues each have their own hostgroup (this is of four
> machine each) therefore @hill is made up of (hill hill2 hill3
> hill4), @cevert (cevert cevert2 cevert3 cevert4), and @bira (bira
> bira2 bira3 bira4).

so you have 12 machines in total.

You mean *@@hill I guess.

> I also can submit to bira and hill ok in similar methods.
>
> What I would like to do is either submit the job so that a job goes
> to ALL the queues and if one is available run on it.
> If none are available wait until a queue becomes available.
>
> I thought I may be able to do this by using "qsub -soft -q
> '*@cevert' '*@bira' '*@hill'  script"

This would supply three arguments to the -q option.

When you come from Torque, this might be unfamiliar: there you submit
into a queue. SGE is different: you specify resource requests and SGE
will select an appropriate queue for the job.

Therefore you need only one queue, and can submit with `qsub -q
*@@bira script.txt`. If you don't care on which of the three
hostgroups the job runs, you will need three PEs. Once a PE is
selected, only slots from this PE will be collected for a job. OTOH:
if a PE is attached to different hostgroups or queues, you might get
a mixture of slots - just what fits the resource request.

Using three PE like orte_bira, orte_cevert and orte_hill you need a
PE definition of:

pe_list NONE,[@bira=orte_bira],[@cevert=orte_cevert],[@hill=orte_hill]

and submit with: qsub -pe orte* 4 ...

which forces SGE to select a PE, and then collect slots from the
queues it is attached to.

(BTW: specifying more than one queue has the notation: qsub -q
all.q,extra.q,any.q (you don't need the * for the hosts).

-- Reuti