[GE users] qlicserver seems to double subtract

Wed Nov 4 09:52:01 GMT 2009

On Tue, 2009-11-03 at 19:20 -0800, biscisking wrote:
> This qlic output was generated with SGE6.2U3 (only version I've ever installed) and:
>
> 1) 5-26-2009 version of qlicserver.
>
> 2) -l abaqus=total number (no scaling)
>
> 3) consumable=JOB
>
> 4) type="job" NOT present in qlicserver.  I've not tested that yet.
>   Thought I was once, but qlicserver.config overwrote.

Okay, this slight misconfiguration explains a lot about why you had such
weird values. The GridEngine part worked ok with consumable=JOB and your
job started, but the qlicserver part got severely hosed. It figured on
abaqus being a normal consumable (Total*slots), which explains the
incredibly high value for _intern_. It also failed to find a
correspondence for this high value with anything granted by the license
server and thus figured that these licenses must have been taken by
something outside of GridEngine's control. Thus these licenses being
mistakenly tagged as _extern_.

> What do you suggest I try?  It sounds like:
>
> 1) Newest version of qlicserver.
>
> 2) -l abaqus=total number (no scaling)
>
> 3) consumable=JOB
>
> 4) type="job" present in qlicserver
>
> 5) any other switches/controls I failed to mention?  1-4 are the only ones I know about.

I'm confident that this should work (it does for us).
I can't think of any other switches/controls that you need.

BTW: you might find using 'qlicserver -n output=-' to be useful to
execute a dry-run and output the results to stdout.

You might also find the 'config=FILE' parameter (on the command-line)
useful for testing purposes.

Upgrading to a new version is certainly never a bad idea, but adding
type="job" to the existing config should fix your problems too.

BTW: 'qlic -d' dumps the cache file again. If everything is configured
properly, you should see type="job" for your abaqus entries.

/mark

This e-mail message and any attachments may contain legally privileged, confidential or proprietary Information, or information otherwise protected by law of EMCON Technologies, its affiliates, or third parties. This notice serves as marking of its "Confidential" status as defined in any confidentiality agreements concerning the sender and recipient. If you are not the intended recipient(s), or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of this message to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail message is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this e-mail message from your computer.