[GE users] [openmpi] tight-integration of open-mpi: failure during directory creation

egaudry eg at fft.be
Tue Nov 10 22:16:42 GMT 2009

Hi there,

I'm experiencing some issues using GE6.2U4 and OpenMPI-1.3.3 (with
gridengine compnent).

During any single job submission, SGE creates a session directory in
$TMPDIR, named after the job id and the computing node name. This
session directory is created using nobody/nogroup credentials.

When using OpenMPI with tight-integration, opal creates different
subdirectories in this session directory. In my case, OpenMPI fails to
create these subdirectories. This seems very likely related to the
permissions set on $TMPDIR (as OpenMPI will not used AFAIK
nobody/nogroup credentials).

I'd like to know if someone might have experienced the same or a similar
issue and if any solution was found. I've already posted on the
users at openmpi mailing-list, but it seems this issue is more related to
my SGE configuration.

As I don't need to use nobody/nogroup to submit job, I could also
deactivate that submission mode. Could someone point the right direction
to do so ?

Thanks for your help,
Eloi