[GE users] limits on real memory

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Fri Nov 13 16:12:12 GMT 2009

Hi,

Am 13.11.2009 um 16:24 schrieb goncalo:

> But, in my opinion, this should not work like that... I should be able
> to discriminate between the two. For example, there are applications
> which use 2GB of RAM memory and also write to SWAP some stuff which
> they

are you really speaking of the swap space or any scratch space on the
disk? I'm not aware, that an application (which gets the illusion of
a contiguous block of memory) can access the swap space directly.
This is usually the kernel's duty to move pages from memory to swap
when they are unused and move them back again.

What will happen with your application, when it's running on a system
without any swap at all (or disabled with `swapoff -a`).

-- Reuti