[GE users] couldn't create pipe: too many open files

richmaes rmaes at ciena.com
Mon Nov 16 17:30:53 GMT 2009

I think this is a linux issue and not so much a SGE issue, but I figured that someone must have hit this error before.
The exact text of the error is
couldn't create pipe: too many open files

This happens about after submission of 700+ jobs into the queue.

I can go to another shell and submit another 700 jobs without issue

I think what has happened is that there is shell based limit or maybe a PID based limit that is currently preventing more than 16K open file handles per shell or PID.