[GE users] limits on real memory

icaci hristo at mc.phys.uni-sofia.bg
Tue Nov 17 16:01:09 GMT 2009

reuti wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 13.11.2009 um 12:51 schrieb goncalo:
>

>> Is it possible to set up a limit on real (not virtual) memory on a
>> job?
>> I only found the h(s)_vmem syntax in the queues...
>>

> when you specify h(s)_vmem, it will also set data (ulimit -d) and
> memory (ulimit -m) in addition to the virtual memory (ulimit -v).
>
> -- Reuti

Setting limit on the data segment size only (ulimit -d) is possible with
h(s)_data but is of no use on Linux systems. When the maximum allowed
size is reached and brk() starts to fail, glibc's malloc() switches
allocation strategies and starts mmap()-ing anonymous files, effectively
bypassing the data segment size limit. On the other hand Solaris and
*BSD behave as expected.

Limiting process memory usage under Linux is only possible with h(s)_vmem.

Just my 0.02 EUR.

Hristo