[GE users] dynamically change priority based on # of jobs in queue?

bergman mark.bergman at uphs.upenn.edu
Tue Nov 17 17:03:50 GMT 2009

I've got some users who submit a large number of jobs at once (30~80K). These
are short-running jobs, and I've already confgured "maxujobs" so that a single
user won't consume all slots.

However, I'd like to make the queuing even more "fair". Is there a way to
dynamically set job priorities based on the number of jobs that a user has in
the queue? For example, for the first 5000 jobs, there's no priority
adjustment. For each 5K jobs above that, the priority would be successively
reduced by some value.

Any suggestions about how to implement this, or alternative methods for similar
priority adjustment? I'm more interested in altering priorities based on the
numer of queued jobs than on a user's historic records of the numer of
completed jobs.

Thanks,

Mark

----
Mark Bergman                              voice: 215-662-7310
mark.bergman at uphs.upenn.edu                 fax: 215-614-0266
System Administrator     Section of Biomedical Image Analysis
Department of Radiology            University of Pennsylvania
      PGP Key: https://www.rad.upenn.edu/sbia/bergman