[GE users] To free up complexes and/or slots while suspended

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Tue Nov 17 18:38:07 GMT 2009

Am 17.11.2009 um 16:03 schrieb fansn:

> I'm also concerning about this. I plan to use suspend/resume script
> to set
> the correct number, i.e. when a job is suspended, get the current
> complex

I would suggest to increase/decrease only the defined maximum in the
global configuration (or an RQS). Otherwiese a starting or ending job
can change the value while you are also just changing it.

> count, minus 1, and set this new count, and vice versa. Haven't
> tried it
> yet, but in theory it should work?

Yes, no.

The problem is, that the complex is increased after the suspension is
issued. So you can suspend by hand and it's working*, but it can't be
used for subordination.

The way back is more complex. When you resume the job, you first have
to check in a "qmod -usj ..." wrapper whether enough resources are
still free, and maybe decrease it already at that time. When the
resume script runs it's to late, and another may have just slipped in
and you are getting out of sync and a negative total count.

-- Reuti

*) It's not failsafe I fear, if you would like to do it on two
machines at the same time you might get a race-condition.