[GE users] Cannot add Execution host! "Obviously there was no qmaster installation yet!"

umanga aumanga at biggjapan.com
Wed Nov 18 10:35:19 GMT 2009

Thanks Lubos,
 I encountered this problem only when i'm trying to install 32bit linux execution host (lx24-x86).It was fine for 64bit linux installer.
As I said before, in the "util/install_modules/inst_execd.sh" shell script  line 82 , it checks for the 'act_qmaster' and 'bootstrap' files as :

 if [ ! -f $COMMONDIR/act_qmaster -o ! -f $COMMONDIR/bootstrap ]; then
      $INFOTEXT "\nObviously there was no qmaster installation yet!\nCall >install_qmaster<\n" \
                  "on the machine which shall run the Grid Engine qmaster\n"

So I inserted "echo $COMMONDIR" above these lines and the output was:
"default/common"
NOT
the complete path as "/SGE6/sge6.2/default/common"

That must be reason to fail that test.
So after adding,
 export COMMONDIR="$SGE_ROOT/$COMMONDIR"

it worked fine.

Do you think this is a bug in the script ?

Best Regards,
umanga

petrik wrote:

And that is the correct output that should allow installation of execd
without any modifications :-).

If you are able (and willing) to find out the reason, let us know.

Regards,
   Lubos.

umanga wrote:

Hi Lubos,

Thank for the reply,my output was:

cd $SGE_ROOT
+ cd /SGE6/sge6.2/
test -f default/common/act_qmaster
+ test -f default/common/act_qmaster
echo $?
+ echo 0
0
ls default/common/act_qmaster
+ ls default/common/act_qmaster
default/common/act_qmaster

Best Regards

petrik wrote:

Well,
the thing is that it should work fine even without that! Can you send me
the output of the below commands.

Thanks,
   Lubos.

umanga wrote:

Hi Lubos,

I inserted a new line to "/util/install_modules/inst_execd.sh" as

COMMONDIR=$SGE_ROOT/$COMMONDIR

Now it works fine.

Thanks
petrik wrote:

Ok,
what does following return on that host?

cd $SGE_ROOT
test -f default/common/act_qmaster
echo $?
ls default/common/act_qmaster

Lubos.

umanga wrote:

Hi Lubos,

Thanks for the tip,
yes cell name is 'default' and I have set SGE_ROOT properly.

During installation i noticed that COMMONDIR variable missing the
SGE_ROOT part,
is it correct ? Is it suppose to be a relative directory or absolute
one like
COMMONDIR=/SGE6/sge6.2/default/common ?

Here is the output :

+COMMONDIR=default/common
+ LCONFDIR=default/common/local_conf
+ CASHAREDDIR=default/common/sgeCA
+ '[' '!' -f default/common/act_qmaster -o '!' -f
default/common/bootstrap ']'
+ ./utilbin/lx24-x86/infotext '\nObviously there was no qmaster
installation yet!\nCall >install_qmaster<\n' 'on the machine which
shall run the Grid Engi

petrik wrote:

i,
are you sure you entered the correct SGE_CELL? You could always run the
script with debug to see what act_qmaster and what bootstrap file the
installer really tries to access (e.g.: bash -vx ./inst_sge -x). If you
cannot figure out what is wrong post several last lines before you get
the error message (since it enters the CheckQmasterInstallation()).

Regards,
   Lubos.

umanga wrote:

Greetings all,

I have shared /SGE6/sge6.2 using NFS where every execution host and
qmaster can access the folder.
I have two execution hosts running Debian Lenny 64bit and want to add a
new machine with Debian Lenny 32bit.

But during "install_execd" it gives the error:

"Obviously there was no qmaster installation yet!
Call >install_qmaster<
on the machine which shall run the Grid Engine qmaster"

and stops.

This host also can access /SGE6/sge6.2 and the files "act_qmaster" and
"bootstrap " in $SGE_ROOT/$CELL/common folder.

Any tips,

thanks in advance,
umanga