[GE users] Installing several types of architectures ?

Wed Nov 18 10:38:00 GMT 2009

On Wed, 2009-11-18 at 19:09 +0900, umanga wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> I have shared NFS folder /SGE/sge6.2 which contains all the installation
> for Linux 64bit.
> Now my folder structure is like:
>
> /SGE6/sge6.2 (NFS)
>                      - default     (cell )
>                            - common
>                            - spool
>                      - bin
>                           - lx24-amd64
>                      - lib
>                           - lx24-amd64
>                      - utilbin
>                           - lx24-amd64
>
> Now ,I tried to install Debian 32bit node which can only access above
> 'default' folder through NFS.I wanted to keep the 'lx24-x86' related
> files locally in that node.
> But since the 32bit node access /SGE6/sge62/default/common/settings.sh ,
> it tries to access the binaries/libraries (lx24-x86) from above shared
> folder structure not locally.
>
> Do I have to copy the 'lx24-x86' related folders in to NFS share  or is
> there a way to access the local files?

Really the simplest is to move the lx24-x86 directories onto the NFS
share. This is how the layout is designed to be used.

This would then have
/SGE6/sge6.2
  - default
      - common
      - spool
  - bin
      - lx24-x28
      - lx24-amd64
  - lib
      - lx24-x28
      - lx24-amd64
  - utilbin
      - lx24-x28
      - lx24-amd64

Nonetheless, I've found it better (easier) to separate things a bit
more. On our systems we have it structured like this (the '->' indicates
a soft-link created with 'ln -s'):

  /opt/grid -> /data/app/grid01

The /opt directory is local, the /data/app is an NFS-share.
We've had situations with different GridEngine versions and cells, and
this lets you swap between versions just by changing the link to point
somewhere else. The job scripts have a consistent '/opt/grid' value
without needing to know which version is being used.

The NFS-share then has this type of structure:
  /data/app/grid01/bin -> ../ge6.2u3/bin/
  /data/app/grid01/lib -> ../ge6.2u3/lib/
  /data/app/grid01/utilbin -> ../ge6.2u3/utilbin/

  /data/app/grid01/default -> /export/home/sgeadmin/grid01/default/

With this, the GridEngine versions can be changed fairly quickly without
any copying. The 'default' is keep separately.

If you really need to have local binaries installed everywhere, you
could follow a similar logic. In this case you would have

  /opt/grid/{bin,lib,utilbin}

installed locally with the respective lx24-x86, lx24-amd64
sub-directories.
To get a functional system, simply share the cell information:

  /opt/grid/default -> /export/home/sgeadmin/grid01/default/

The settings.sh would of course refer to /opt/grid for the SGE_ROOT.
The different locally installed binaries would be used.

/mark

This e-mail message and any attachments may contain legally privileged, confidential or proprietary Information, or information otherwise protected by law of EMCON Technologies, its affiliates, or third parties. This notice serves as marking of its "Confidential" status as defined in any confidentiality agreements concerning the sender and recipient. If you are not the intended recipient(s), or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of this message to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail message is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this e-mail message from your computer.