[GE users] limits on real memory

goncalo goncalo at lip.pt
Wed Nov 18 14:55:10 GMT 2009

>> But, in my opinion, this should not work like that... I should be able
>> to discriminate between the two. For example, there are applications
>> which use 2GB of RAM memory and also write to SWAP some stuff which
>> they
>>
> are you really speaking of the swap space or any scratch space on the
> disk? I'm not aware, that an application (which gets the illusion of
> a contiguous block of memory) can access the swap space directly.
> This is usually the kernel's duty to move pages from memory to swap
> when they are unused and move them back again.

I didn't express myself properly, sorry. I meant that a significant
number of the pages used by an application during its startup phase may
only be used for initialization and then never used again. The system
can send to swap those pages and free the memory for other applications
or even for the disk cache. In this case, I'm not interested in the
total virtual memory of the aplication

Goncalo