[GE users] Default resource per queue?

gutnik gutnik at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 17:46:29 GMT 2009

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 5:28 AM, reuti <reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de> wrote:
> Am 17.11.2009 um 17:54 schrieb gutnik:
>
>> Is it possible to set up a queue with default global complex usage
>> per job?
>>
>> I have a grid set up and integrated with qlicserver. I'd like to have
>> a low-priority
>> batch queue, and a higher priority interactive queue. (The idea
>> would be that
>> batch jobs could be stopped to free up licenses, but interactive ones
>> wouldn't be.)
>>
>> I think I can do it now by specifying -l qname=batch.q,mylic=1   or
>> -lqname=inter.q,mylic=1,
>> but it would be more convenient to have all jobs that go to either
>> queue request the "mylic"
>> resource. (And of course, I'd have other queues that don't use this
>> license.)
>
> On the one hand, you could use a JSV (job-submission-verfier) in
> newer versions of SGE which will attach the necessary mylic complex
> for the requested queues.
>
> But submitting into a queue is more the Torque-style of job
> submissions. In SGE you request resources and SGE will select an
> appropriate queue for you.

Yes, I'm coming to realize that. So, ok, the right thing is to simply
request the relevant resources, and let the scheduler figure it out.

Then is there a way to group resources together? Some sort of resource
alias? So I could say "-l jobtype1" and sge knows that this type of job
requires 5g ram, 2CPUs, and complex resources foo, bar, and baz, and
"-l jobtype2" which requests a different set of resources?

        Vadim