[GE users] Default resource per queue?

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Thu Nov 19 10:12:56 GMT 2009

Am 18.11.2009 um 18:46 schrieb gutnik:

> On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 5:28 AM, reuti <reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de>
> wrote:
>> Am 17.11.2009 um 17:54 schrieb gutnik:
>>
>>> Is it possible to set up a queue with default global complex usage
>>> per job?
>>>
>>> I have a grid set up and integrated with qlicserver. I'd like to
>>> have
>>> a low-priority
>>> batch queue, and a higher priority interactive queue. (The idea
>>> would be that
>>> batch jobs could be stopped to free up licenses, but interactive
>>> ones
>>> wouldn't be.)
>>>
>>> I think I can do it now by specifying -l qname=batch.q,mylic=1   or
>>> -lqname=inter.q,mylic=1,
>>> but it would be more convenient to have all jobs that go to either
>>> queue request the "mylic"
>>> resource. (And of course, I'd have other queues that don't use this
>>> license.)
>>
>> On the one hand, you could use a JSV (job-submission-verfier) in
>> newer versions of SGE which will attach the necessary mylic complex
>> for the requested queues.
>>
>> But submitting into a queue is more the Torque-style of job
>> submissions. In SGE you request resources and SGE will select an
>> appropriate queue for you.
>
> Yes, I'm coming to realize that. So, ok, the right thing is to simply
> request the relevant resources, and let the scheduler figure it out.
>
> Then is there a way to group resources together? Some sort of resource
> alias? So I could say "-l jobtype1" and sge knows that this type of
> job
> requires 5g ram, 2CPUs, and complex resources foo, bar, and baz, and
> "-l jobtype2" which requests a different set of resources?

This is a perfect application for a JSV (job-submission-verifier).
Then you can use any BOOL value which you defined to trigger the JSV
to add certain resource requests for each type of job.

Instead of many BOOL complexes (one for each jobtype), you could also
define a STRING like "jobtype" and you request "-l jobtype=fubar" and
the JSV can use this as a selector.

It's a matter of taste which version you prefer.

==

When you have the input for the different jobs in different
directories from where you submit the jobs, you could also put in
each of them a "$cwd/.sge_request" file with the defaults for this
directory. Have a look at $SGE_ROOT/default/common/sge_request for an
example (it's explained at the end of `man qsub`).