[GE users] Help needed with schedule priorities

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Thu Nov 19 12:27:10 GMT 2009

Hi,

Am 18.11.2009 um 12:12 schrieb ffelix:

> I would need some help with respect to schedule priorities in Grid
> Engine.
>
> We are using GE as the local scheduler for our gLite deployment in
> the context of the EGEE project.
> In our case, jobs are submitted using an external application that
> transfer them to the master node where an "adaptor" translates the
> job submission made by the application into a qsub command.
>
> Our problem is that no scheduling priorities can be specified for
> the job using that external application, just the queue we want the
> job is executed on.
> And we need to establish a scheduling priority order among our
> defined queues so that jobs sent to high priority queues were
> scheduled before those jobs submitted to lower ones.
>
> The question, therefore, is:
>
> Is there any way to assign specific priorities to the jobs
> submitted to a queue depending only on the name of that queue
> (without using qsub options, of course).

as I mentioned in  another thread: in SGE it's best to request
resources, not queues. So, instead of requesting a dedicated queue,
you request a defined boolean complex, which has an urgency attached
to to implement an "urgency policy" (means different urgencies for
different complexes). Unless you have additonal setups in the queues,
it may also be possible to have only one queue for all jobs.

For a detailed explanation please have a look at: http://www.sun.com/
blueprints/1005/819-4325.html (page 9 - just ignore the share-tree
mentioned there)