[GE users] qlicserver behavior for suspended jobs

gutnik gutnik at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 15:44:31 GMT 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 6:22 AM, biscisking <dsmith03 at its.jnj.com> wrote:
> Mark,
>
> Could you take a look at the following thread and see if it makes sense in my situation?
>
> http://gridengine.sunsource.net/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=38&dsMessageId=199539

I'm trying to do the same thing, I think, with flexlm and grid, and
not getting very far.

I'm now thinking of trying a different approach:
  If gridengine doesn't release resources for stopped jobs, then maybe
it's better to not treat
the licenses as finite resources to be allocated, but rather as a
load. It's not hard (I think!) to
write a load sensor that queries flexlm, and presents the number of
used licenses as a load.
(Or, perhaps better, N-(number of free licenses)). Then when the load
gets too high, you start
suspending the relevant jobs.

Has anyone tried something like that?

One difficulty I see is in getting only one job stopped at a time, rather than
one per queue instance. Does reporting this as a "global" load in the load
sensor help?

       Vadim