[GE users] qlicserver behavior for suspended jobs

Thu Nov 19 20:11:15 GMT 2009

>> Could you take a look at the following thread and see if it makes sense in my situation?
>>
>> http://gridengine.sunsource.net/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=38&dsMessageId=199539

> I'm trying to do the same thing, I think, with flexlm and grid, and
> not getting very far.

> I'm now thinking of trying a different approach:
> If gridengine doesn't release resources for stopped jobs, then maybe
> it's better to not treat
> the licenses as finite resources to be allocated, but rather as a
> load. It's not hard (I think!) to
> write a load sensor that queries flexlm, and presents the number of
> used licenses as a load.

Oh no!
Are you really sure you want to treat the available/used licenses as a load?

There is some background here:
   http://olesenm.github.com/flex-grid/background.html
including a link to a pdf that (I hope) might make you reconsider if you really want
to use load sensors for managing consumable resources. I certainly would not wish to.

/mark