[GE users] Help needed with schedule priorities

fx d.love at liverpool.ac.uk
Fri Nov 20 11:22:47 GMT 2009

ffelix <ffelixr at gmail.com> writes:

> Hello fx,

[I detest the way a perfectly sensible
From: Dave Love <d.love at liverpool.ac.uk>
gets mangled on this list, and I forgot to set up a posting style with a
signature.  Let's try reply-to this time as well...]

> In this case, the priorities is an user requirement. They need to be
> sure that "their" high priority jobs are scheduled first, and they
> don't have any way to specify parameters for "qsub".

Oh, I see.  We haven't had a request for different priorities, but if it
is demanded, I guess I'd set up another queue (sigh) for higher (or
lower) priority, assuming they can specify a queue on submission.  Then
you can use JSV to add a -p flag for jobs on that queue, assuming a
recent SGE.  Presumably it should be a server JSV, at least if you need
to increase it above 0 rather than have the suggested default `-p -100'
which you can increase to 0 on the client side.

> We are contacting the people who developed glite-GE adaptor in order
> to see how can we address this requirement, using projects, complexes
> as reuti suggests in other post.  If finally we manage to get
> something working, be confident on that we'll share it

Good.  I understood there wasn't any possibility of changing it here,
but I got quite confused by the whole business of LCG jobs.  You
probably would prefer not to use projects in this case, as then you'll
have extra management of all the ids in each one.

Perhaps what the should do is write against DRMAA (like the third-party
adaptor that's available for Globus) rather than write DRM-specific
stuff.  But then Globus should too...

--
(Dr) Dave Love
?E-Science?, Computing Services Department, University of Liverpool
AKA fx at gnu.org