[GE users] qlicserver behavior for suspended jobs

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Fri Nov 20 11:46:18 GMT 2009

Hi,

Am 19.11.2009 um 16:44 schrieb gutnik:

> On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 6:22 AM, biscisking <dsmith03 at its.jnj.com>
> wrote:
>> Mark,
>>
>> Could you take a look at the following thread and see if it makes
>> sense in my situation?

>> dsForumId=38&dsMessageId=199539
>
> I'm trying to do the same thing, I think, with flexlm and grid, and
> not getting very far.
>
> I'm now thinking of trying a different approach:
>   If gridengine doesn't release resources for stopped jobs, then maybe
> it's better to not treat
> the licenses as finite resources to be allocated, but rather as a
> load. It's not hard (I think!) to
> write a load sensor that queries flexlm, and presents the number of
> used licenses as a load.
> (Or, perhaps better, N-(number of free licenses)). Then when the load
> gets too high, you start
> suspending the relevant jobs.
>
> Has anyone tried something like that?

instead of attaching it somewhere on the outer shell of SGE, it would
be an RFE to integrate some "look ahead feature" in SGE's scheduler.
I.e.: which resources would become available when job xy gets
suspended. This would include some flags of course, whether a
resource like memory should be considered as being freed or not -
depending on the type of job.

This could also include a "qforce": run this job now, and suspend
what ever is necessary to gather the required resources.

-- Reuti