[GE users] qlicserver behavior for suspended jobs

gutnik gutnik at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 15:03:22 GMT 2009

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 4:01 AM, olesen
<Mark.Olesen at emcontechnologies.com> wrote:
>>   2) If there are no free licenses, high priority non-grid jobs won't
>> start. Therefore, I have to make sure that
>> no low-priority job starts unless there is a surplus of licenses. This
>> means that I'll always have a few unused
>> licenses that can't be used by low-priority jobs.
>
> If you simply want to reserve some licenses for non-grid jobs, you can
> use the 'limit' parameter for that.
> http://olesenm.github.com/flex-grid/config-limits.html
>
> You can also adjust the limits at any time, either manually or with a
> load sensor. We generally do it manually and have qlicserver.limits/ as
> a directory - it makes adjusting the files quite easy.

It's not that I just want to reserve some licenses for non-grid jobs.
I want to make sure
a few licenses are always available before I use licenses for
low-priority jobs. If I use a "limit" of,
say, 3, and there are 3 non-grid jobs already, I'd use up all free
licenses, and nobody
would be able to start another high priority job.

Right now, I get around this by starting a dummy job that claims to
take 3 licenses,
but doesn't. That works reasonably well if I'm running lots of short
jobs -- as the
non-grid license usage goes up, flex-grid lowers the number of
available licenses,
so the grid license usage drops until I have 3 free again. It doesn't
work so well if I have
8-hour low-priority jobs, because there's no way to pause them and get
the licenses back.

   Vadim