[GE users] sge_qmaster start problem

sesha seshadrite at hcl.in
Thu Nov 26 13:07:36 GMT 2009

Recently I tried installing the SGE 6.2 (sge62u4_linux24-x64) on the (Ubuntu) linux machine with AMD x64 bit processor.

When I tried to install the SGE Master, I see the master is installing but unable to start.

I used interactive mode of installation, where I followed the procedures as mentioned in the SGE Master installation notes.

The current status of the issue

1.       I am able to see a SGE Master Process is running (ps ?elf | grep sge)

2.       Also I am able to see the SGE Master is listening to the default port that I have provided (lsof ?i:6444)

3.       However when the SGE Master service has started, I get a

sge_qmaster start problem

While debugging the scripts, I believe the issue is pertaining to qping issue, where I am not able to do qping to the specified host and port.  When I tried to issue the command manually in the command prompt

   $ qping ?info <hostname> 6444 qmaster 1

   endpoint <hostname>/qmaster/1 at port 6444: can?t find connection
   got select error : Connection refused
   got select error : closing ?<hostname>/qmaster/1?

I could not see any issues with spool/qmaster/messages file, where it says

?   starting up SGE 6.2u4 (lx24-amd64)

Please let me know a solution for this?

Thanks
Sesha