[GE users] act_qmaster contents changing

robhorton r.horton at qmul.ac.uk
Thu Nov 26 16:08:23 GMT 2009

Hi,

Installing the 6.2u4 binaries I'm getting some apparently odd behaviour
with the contents of act_qmaster.

After installation, act_qmaster contains "taurus.local" (which is
the /etc/hosts entry for the private interface). If I use the sgemaster
script to stop sge_qmaster nothing happens. If I stop it by other means
and then start it, I get:

[root at taurus ~]# /usr/local/sge/default/common/sgemaster start

sge_qmaster didn't start!
This is not a qmaster host!
Please, check your act_qmaster file!

If I then change the contents of act_qmaster to the public fqdn of the
machine, I get:

[root at taurus ~]# /usr/local/sge/default/common/sgemaster start
   starting sge_qmaster
sge_qmaster is running on another host (taurus.local)

sge_qmaster starts, but the content of act_qmaster reverts to
"taurus.local". What's going on?

I'm installing the binary distribution onto a rocks headnode (i.e. not
via the sge roll). /usr/local/sge/utilbin/lx24-amd64/gethostname returns
the public hostname and IP of the machine.

Thanks,
Rob