[GE users] act_qmaster contents changing

petrik lubomir.petrik at sun.com
Thu Nov 26 16:27:14 GMT 2009

Hi,
see my inline comments.

robhorton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Installing the 6.2u4 binaries I'm getting some apparently odd behaviour
> with the contents of act_qmaster.
>
> After installation, act_qmaster contains "taurus.local" (which is
> the /etc/hosts entry for the private interface).
You later say that /usr/local/sge/utilbin/lx24-amd64/gethostname does
not return this value. Correct? What does the gethostname -aname return?
Attach also output of gethostname -all.
> If I use the sgemaster
> script to stop sge_qmaster nothing happens. If I stop it by other means
> and then start it, I get:

> [root at taurus ~]# /usr/local/sge/default/common/sgemaster start
>
> sge_qmaster didn't start!
> This is not a qmaster host!
> Please, check your act_qmaster file!

This happens when gethostname -aname and act_qmaster do not match.

What are the other means?

> If I then change the contents of act_qmaster to the public fqdn of the
> machine, I get:

> [root at taurus ~]# /usr/local/sge/default/common/sgemaster start
>    starting sge_qmaster
> sge_qmaster is running on another host (taurus.local)

Does the public and local name differ only in the domain? There've been
some bugfixes in this area for the upcoming 6.2u5.

> sge_qmaster starts, but the content of act_qmaster reverts to
> "taurus.local". What's going on?

I'll comment that once I see the output of gethostname -all.

Regards,
   Lubos.