[GE users] qrsh path or filename may not exceed 1024 characters.

gclark geoff.clark at mdacorporation.com
Wed Sep 2 18:04:02 BST 2009

I'm experiencing a problem with qrsh under version 6.2u3.

We have 13 nodes in the cluster with a gpfs filesystem running Red Hat Enterprise 5 64bit. Qrsh seems to have a limit of 1024 characters which is substantially smaller than the 4050 characters we have available to us on our older generation cluster running 5.3p2. Is the 1024 limit a new feature or is this something that I can configure somewhere?

One of our developers created a small script which does nothing but send a long string to the grid. The command starts with the 5 characters from the echo and the space following it and is made up of 1020 characters from the rest.

The following is the small script:

DIGITS="0123456789"
HUNDRED=$DIGITS$DIGITS$DIGITS$DIGITS$DIGITS$DIGITS$DIGITS$DIGITS$DIGITS$DIGITS
THOUSAND=$HUNDRED$HUNDRED$HUNDRED$HUNDRED$HUNDRED$HUNDRED$HUNDRED$HUNDRED$HUNDRED$HUNDRED

#echo $THOUSAND$THOUSAND

qrsh -V -cwd "echo ${THOUSAND}${DIGITS}0123456789"  # Start of error, total 1025.