[GE users] Cloned upgrade and port numbers

heywood heywood at cshl.edu
Wed Sep 2 20:13:53 BST 2009

I'm trying a cloned upgrade of SGE to 6.2u3. Our current production SGE uses
/etc/services to define the qmaster and sge_execd ports since qmaster and
execd start on boot (they will not start without sge_qmaster and sge_execd
in /etc/services since settings.sh is not sourced on boot).

It seems to me that I cannot do the cloned upgrade since I can't define
different port numbers in /etc/services for the new version for the same
service names sge_qmaster and sge_execd.

Right? How do other people deal with this? I aborted the upgrade procedure
since it looked like it was about to changes the sge_execd port number in
/etc/services, which would screw up the current production SGE if it indeed
did that....

Grid Engine TCP/IP service >sge_execd<

Please enter an unused port number >>

Thanks,