[GE users] Cloned upgrade and port numbers

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed Sep 2 22:06:12 BST 2009

Hi,

Am 02.09.2009 um 21:13 schrieb heywood:

> I'm trying a cloned upgrade of SGE to 6.2u3. Our current production
> SGE uses
> /etc/services to define the qmaster and sge_execd ports since
> qmaster and
> execd start on boot (they will not start without sge_qmaster and
> sge_execd
> in /etc/services since settings.sh is not sourced on boot).

when you setup a cluster with hardcoded port numbers, they will be
recorded also in the scripts sgeexecd and sgemaster.

There you can define anything you like and don't have to source
settings.sh; just put the export command after the comment regarding
the LSB compliance.

> It seems to me that I cannot do the cloned upgrade since I can't
> define
> different port numbers in /etc/services for the new version for the
> same
> service names sge_qmaster and sge_execd.

It's possible to have more than one sgemaster/-execd running on the
same machine from different versions. You will just need to use
different port pairs for each instance. For your commands qstat,
qconf, ... you need to change the to be used ports along with the
cell name to access each of them.

> Right? How do other people deal with this? I aborted the upgrade
> procedure
> since it looked like it was about to changes the sge_execd port
> number in
> /etc/services, which would screw up the current production SGE if
> it indeed
> did that....

I never saw SGE touching the file /etc/services.

-- Reuti