[GE users] Cloned upgrade and port numbers

heywood heywood at cshl.edu
Thu Sep 3 15:50:22 BST 2009

Reuti, thanks for the info. Replies inline below...

On 9/2/09 5:06 PM, "reuti" <reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am 02.09.2009 um 21:13 schrieb heywood:
>
>> I'm trying a cloned upgrade of SGE to 6.2u3. Our current production
>> SGE uses
>> /etc/services to define the qmaster and sge_execd ports since
>> qmaster and
>> execd start on boot (they will not start without sge_qmaster and
>> sge_execd
>> in /etc/services since settings.sh is not sourced on boot).
>
> when you setup a cluster with hardcoded port numbers, they will be
> recorded also in the scripts sgeexecd and sgemaster.
>
> There you can define anything you like and don't have to source
> settings.sh; just put the export command after the comment regarding
> the LSB compliance.

You are suggesting I manually edit the sgeexecd and sgemaster scripts to
define the ports with exports, and then delete their entries in
/etc/services?

Note that the way things are now, sgeexecd and sgemaster do not start unless
they have port number entries in /etc/services (but no error messages are
given either if I try to start them without their entries in /etc/services).

>> It seems to me that I cannot do the cloned upgrade since I can't
>> define
>> different port numbers in /etc/services for the new version for the
>> same
>> service names sge_qmaster and sge_execd.
>
> It's possible to have more than one sgemaster/-execd running on the
> same machine from different versions. You will just need to use
> different port pairs for each instance. For your commands qstat,
> qconf, ... you need to change the to be used ports along with the
> cell name to access each of them.
>

>> Right? How do other people deal with this? I aborted the upgrade
>> procedure
>> since it looked like it was about to changes the sge_execd port
>> number in
>> /etc/services, which would screw up the current production SGE if
>> it indeed
>> did that....
>
> I never saw SGE touching the file /etc/services.

Well the cloned upgrade procedure tells me I have the ports "curently set
BOTH as service and by the shell environment" and asks how I want to change
them. I say "shell environment" (the default). Then it says the following
which is confusing...

Grid Engine TCP/IP communication service

Using the environment variable

   $SGE_EXECD_PORT=6455

as port for communication.

This overrides the preset TCP/IP service >sge_execd<.

Do you want to change the port number? (y/n) [n] >> y

Grid Engine TCP/IP service >sge_execd<

Please enter an unused port number >>

...at which point I aborted.

Todd